5.15.2008

if grace is true - living as a 21st century quaker

I set out to write about what it means to be a Quaker and reactions folks have, my beliefs, hopes, etc… I will post on this, I am reticent to talk about myself too much. So for now, I'll let Philip Gulley do it for me.

Who is Philip Gulley? You might recognize him if you live in Indiana and have watched PBS affiliate WFYI TV 20’s Across Indiana. Phil won an Emmy Award for his Porch Talk Series last year. Phil is a Quaker Minister, author, and humorist among many other things. He and my pastor, James Mulholland have written two books together, If Grace Is True and If God Is Love. Here is an excerpt from his website.

Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life and an observer of humanity without match. Filled with moments of both lump-in-the-throat poignancy and laugh-out-loud humor, this collection of heartwarming stories from real-life situations offers musings on leisure, marriage, faith, family, and enjoying the little things.

His co-author is my pastor, James Mulholland. Jim is a theologian who’s been involved in the American Baptist, United Methodist, and Quaker denominations. The exact same journey that I took. I highly recommend If Grace Is True just on a spiritual, moral and intellectual level. Check out the links for each when you have a chance.

Anyway, back to Phil, as I said he has a segment on Across Indiana and the clip is much better than I can do to explain and describe what it means to be a Quaker in the 21st Century. I’ll talk about my faith in due time, I’m not on here to preach and I kinda feel like it would be taken as that. I want it to come off as a real, honest examination of me for whomever wishes to read it and nothing more. I’m not using my blog or MySpace blog to proselytize. Just write about my interests, life, annoyances, etc… I’m not posting to create some highly viral comentary, but I do understand that there may be questions and I welcome those. Peace.

Here’s the clip.

#1703
Things I Ponder When Sitting in Meeting

* Requires Windows Media Player

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Flux Directory