2.11.2009

This Bit of Bizarre History Blew My Mind

So I wish to blow yours as well.

I was listening to the Diane Rehm Show on NPR this morning. Sometimes I do, mostly I don't. I'm glad I caught this show.

She had Martha Sandweiss, professor of history at Princeton  University on talking about her new passing-strange-190book "Passing Strange" (Penguin). Here's the blurb about it.

Clarence King was a famed explorer, scientist, and hero of late nineteenth century history. But the blue-eyed and fair-skinned King also led a secret double life passing as a black man. A historian examines the secret King only revealed on his deathbed to his black wife of thirteen years.

You can listen to the hour long interview, here. There was a great story and interview in the Book of the Times section of The New York Times, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Flux Directory